Thursday, February 6, 2020

Assignment 6A – Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends

Economic Trends

  • Lower interest rates

    1. I believe that an opportunity exists because lower interest rates lead to increased real estate sales. It is not only an opportunity for banks, but also for related jobs, such as: home stagers, landscape architects, contractors, consultants who help people sell their homes, consultants who help buyers find the best mortgage rates, consultants to help homeowners lower their current interest rates, etc.
    2. Prototypical Customer: adults in the US, all ages, with stable employment, who are looking to purchase a new home, or lower their current interest rates.
    3. I feel like this opportunity could be easy to exploit if someone found the right niche. It is a fact that there are increased real estate purchases when interest rates are lower.
    4. I may have seen this opportunity because of past experience buying a home. I watched interest rate trends and searched for the best rates when my family decided to buy a home.

  • Health care occupations will account for 18 of the 30 fastest growing occupations


    1. I believe an opportunity exists here because the US has an aging population. With “baby boomers” getting older, they will require more medical care. Opportunities could exist for healthcare services, in-home healthcare, caretakers, medical device sales, etc. Florida is also a prime state for access to “baby boomers”.
    2. Prototypical customer would be an elderly person (65+), someone who requires a lot of medical attention or care taking, and also their family members.
    3. I feel like this could also be easily exploited by a person with the right knowledge and training. 
    4. I may have seen this opportunity because I have had experience with care taking and know that America has an aging population that is requiring more healthcare.


Regulatory Trends


  • Legalization of Hemp in 2019 in Florida


    1. I believe an opportunity exists because products with hemp and CBD are exploding in popularity ever since it was legalized here in Florida and most other states. Although there is a lot of competition to sell CBD products in the marketplace, I believe an opportunity could exist in regulatory consulting because the requirements are very strict as to what is allowed with CBD products.
    2. Prototypical customers would be adults in Florida who need help managing pain, sleep, anxiety, and some chronic illnesses. For the regulatory aspect, customers would be CBD product manufacturers and distributors. 
    3. I feel like this could be easily exploited, again by someone with the right set of skills and knowledge. It is still a very new market with lots of opportunity.
    4. I may have seen this opportunity because my husband works in a medical field with regulatory matters. Also, I am a fan and consumer of CBD oil. 

  • Texting-and-driving law


    1. I believe an opportunity exists because there is now more incentive to not use a phone while driving, due to it being illegal and the associated fines and penalties. I feel like parents would be interested in something that would keep their kids from using their phones while driving, not just because of the legality of it, but also for safety reasons.
    2. Prototypical customers would be those 16 and older with a driver's license, but probably more likely parents of teenagers.
    3. I feel like this could be harder to exploit. There is a smaller customer base for something like this and, even though it’s illegal, most people will probably still want to use their phones occasionally while driving.
    4. I may have seen this opportunity because I have been more aware of how I shouldn’t be using my phone while driving since the law went into effect earlier this year.

4 comments:


  1. Hi KIndra!
    I thought your post was very relevant and detailed. You picked very different articles than I did, so reading your post helped me learn about even more trends than before. However, I did write about how banks now don’t have to regulate hemp companies as much, which coincides with your third article. Overall, I thought your post was interesting and well done.
    ~Mady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kindra

    I really enjoyed reading your post. I think you wrote it very efficiently and effectively. It seems like you did a lot of research baking up your claims. I am very interested in what you were saying about CBD. I agree that there is a big opportunity in the CBD market. I think your post overall was very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interest rates rule the world! Or really could be the choice that is made for you of whether owning a home is something you can afford. Healthcare becoming more advanced and being able to use technology to keep up with an aging population are also factors of this trend! Interesting thoughts about CBD oil and texting and driving maybe an app could be the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what is really interesting is that I also saw healthcare as an area for an opportunity. More specifically, I also identified the aging population of the U.S. as a source of this opportunity! I agree with your observation that much of the demand will be for long-term caretakers. But, there will also be demand for people who provide related services! For instance, installers of home-modification like chair lifts!

    ReplyDelete