Friday, February 21, 2020

Assignment 11A - Idea Napkin No. 1

Idea Napkin No. 1 for a Coffee Shop in Lake Butler

1) About Me. I'm a 37-year-old woman living in the small town of Lake Butler with my husband and four children. It's ironic that I want to open up a coffee shop because I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I see the need for a coffee shop in my town. I am talented at cooking, especially baking. I am organized, a bit of a perfectionist, and have always been a high achiever. I love to travel and have been all over the US and to many other countries. I have been to many coffee shops here in the states and abroad, so I have a good idea of what I want in a coffee shop. I have a lot of work experience in business administration and will soon be finished with my bachelors degree in Business Administration from the University of Florida. I would ideally like to open the coffee shop and hire a manager to run it, as I am currently too busy to deal with the day-to-day operations of a business and also do not want to be tied down by a business. I think this would be a successful investment and it would add value to my community, and that is the main reason I would like to pursue this business opportunity.
2) What are you offering to customers? My company will offer customers a place they can get a good, quality cup of coffee and other hot drinks such as: mochas, lattes, cocoa, cider, tea, etc. There are currently no other coffee shops in town, or within a 20 mile radius. It will offer a drive-up window for those who want to grab a quick cup of coffee in the morning or afternoon. It will also offer a small seating area inside for those who want to relax or socialize with friends or colleagues. I would also like to showcase local artists through displaying artwork, and perhaps even have local musicians perform at scheduled times. My coffee shop will also offer baked goods for patrons to enjoy with their beverages.
3) Who are you offering it to? My customers will consist mainly of people who reside or work in the Lake Butler area. This will include both males and females from 16-99 years old. We will include drinks from a low to high price range, depending on ingredients, so all income levels can afford to enjoy our products. My customers will mostly consist of working professionals and high school students, and those who don't mind spending a little extra to get a good quality coffee or other hot beverage. 
4) Why do they care? You can look at the success of Starbucks, and other coffee shops across the country, to see the value of coffee shops. Many people love to get quality coffee and other hot beverages that coffee shops provide, but the people of Lake Butler currently have no place that serves this need. The only alternatives are making hot beverages at home or getting coffee at the local gas stations. My target customer will be someone who enjoys the high quality drinks they will have access to at a coffee shop. They will also be able to relax in a comfortable atmosphere while enjoying their drinks. There are also limited places to buy fresh baked goods in Lake Butler, so that will be another need that my coffee shop will address. It will also provide a comfortable place to gather with friends to socialize, which is also something that is lacking in Lake Butler. 
5) What are your core competencies? The main thing that sets my business apart is the fact that there are currently no other coffee shops in town. That alone makes it stand out. I would also like to customize my menu based on requests of my customers, so I know I will be providing what they want. I will also set high customer service practices and standards that will keep people coming back.
I believe these five elements flow together nicely and will be a good foundation for a successful business. I know I still have a lot to learn about the industry and about running a business, but I believe I am on the right track.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kindra,
    Being from a relatively big suburb, I found it shocking that some towns don’t have a local coffee shop for miles on end. I think you did a really good job of explaining how you know there is a need and knew exactly what you wanted to deliver to the customers. I also liked how practical you were in recognizing that you would not be able to run the shop yourself, but regardless it would be a profit gaining opportunity for you.
    ~Mady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kindra,

    You seem to know very much about coffee and the consumers. I think your idea is a great opportunity. There will be a lot of people in the nearby areas that would want to drink coffee. You can use advertising and marketing towards your target consumers as a strategy. This would help to get your biggest consumer groups needs satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your coffee shop is the epitome of the saying, “Build it and they will come.” Since the surrounding towns do not have a Starbucks or other related coffee shop, word of mouth may be part of your success story. I went to school in Tallahassee, Florida. For the first 3 years there, there was no Dunkin Donuts anywhere within city limits. Even though I had not been an avid coffee drinker, anytime I went home to South Florida I made sure to drink Dunkin. Once a Dunkin opened up in Tallahassee, I went there at least once a week for the first year! Get them hooked early!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kindra! I love your coffee shop idea. I'm so used to having tons of options in terms of which local coffee shop I want to go to because there are so many in Gainesville. It's hard to imagine not having at least one nearby coffee shop, even a Starbucks, to get good quality coffee. I think this is a strong idea, especially since there isn't a big chain like Starbucks in your town, so there will be virtually no competition. And I love your idea of having local art displayed on the walls to give it a warm, homey vibe and having local musicians play music!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kindra! Good post. I think you are right in your selection of your problem, solution and market. Coffee & tea is category that doesn't need to marketed because everyone knows what it is, moreover it is universally enjoyed by every demographic. I especially like that you have no competition from other retail outlets (I'm not including gas stations). Moreover since it is a small town, you have potential to build a lot of customer loyalty which can serve as a barrier to entry for potential competitors. Great work!

    ReplyDelete